Jun 13, 2014

CRUZ CHRONICLES - Operation: Chronos, Shadowfall (Part 1)


The sun was almost set when we reached the western borders of Leboux. After almost a month of sailing on neutral waters, it felt like forever since we last set foot on solid rock.

My legs were still shaky as we disembark from our ship, still adjusting to the sudden shift in the pull of gravity beneath my feet. I tried to survey the land from where I stand. The port where we docked seemed almost intact, with very minimal damages, hinting that the heavy fights haven’t reached shore yet. I take it as a good sign, at least for our own benefit. We can lie safe tonight, or could we? Should we?

And then I recollect the briefing we had on our way here. Add to that, the numerous chit chats I’ve overheard from my fellow grunts. We are outnumbered. Almost four is to one. And we’re not just facing the Germans and their abominations. I've seen some of the recent reports and those Russians have joined the war.

“Make no mistake,” I noted to myself. No place is safe here. Not in this war torn piece of land.

We’re halfway through unloading our supplies when I noticed the sound of heavy footsteps approaching our direction. I reached for my rifle strapped on my shoulder; we may have made a mistake choosing this position after all.

I turned towards where the sound was coming from and let out a sigh of relief when I recognized who made them. They were no enemies but a unit of NCO Heavy Rangers. Must’ve been sent from one of our posts stationed within the city, I thought.

They were greeted by our commanding officer with a salute and were gestured to stand down. I cannot clearly hear their conversation from where I’m standing. And the sky got dimmer with only a glimpse of the moon giving us a bit of light.

There were nodding, some shaking of heads, I think I even heard someone blurted out a curse somewhere in the middle of their conversation. I make a quick sweep from time to time and everyone around them just stood there, as if holding their breaths for whatever the news will be.

Then there was more silence. It lasted for a few more seconds, even the stars shied away behind the night clouds to avoid us. What is going on? I’m almost certain every man in the vicinity is thinking of the exact same thing right at this very moment.

All of a sudden, one of the officers signalled for everyone to proceed forward. As I was being pushed and bumped, I noticed our commander threw the small piece of paper he was handed earlier, now crumpled. I don’t know what got into me but somehow, something in me urged the need to see what’s written on that piece of paper.

I ran after it as it was kicked and swept. It almost fell to the water had I been slower. Without hesitation, I opened it. The words I read sent a jolt from my hand all over my entire body.

I composed myself and took a deep breath before I threw the note to the water myself. I turned around and hurriedly followed my fellow Rangers as we march inwards the dark confines of Leboux. The message still rings at the back of my head:


Ozz is gone. Rhino is down. Get Joe. Shadowfall is a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Refrain from using any vulgar, racist, insulting, fuck it you know it already don't you? Just post.