Jul 30, 2013

CRUZ CHRONICLES #004

Me: Bro, tuloy warfare natin sa sabado? (Bro, are we cool this Saturday?)

Dax: Yup. Sa umaga tayo.(Yup. In the morning.)

Those were our exchange of text messages, scheduling our long overdue Dust Warfare game. Due to some errands and other obligations (yep, our hobby remains a hobby to us), I arrived at the shop a few minutes over lunch time.


For some weird reason, we only have a handful of gamers that day. They were occupied with Kemmet when I got there. As soon as I’m done with the greetings and handshakes, Dax and I went ahead to setup our table.

For this game, we’ve agreed to bring a 200-point worth of firepower. Now if you’ve been following my reports/blogs, both Dax and yours truly are commanders of the Allied forces.

Date of Battle: July 27, 2013
Location: Neutral Grounds, Glorietta, Makati
Game: Dust Warfare


ARMY LISTS:

My Army
Assault Platoon
Platoon Upgrade: Air Drop - 5
Command Section: Johnny One-eye - 17
1st Section: BBQ Squad - 21
Support: Fireball – 85

Combat Platoon
Platoon Upgrade: Additional Resources – 10
Command Section: The Boss – 25
1st Section: The Gunners + Upgrade to M9 Bazooka – 20
CS Support: 13 Foxtrot – 8
Support: 13 Foxtrot – 8


TOTAL: 199 AP


Having no prep time due to the previously mentioned activities, I just brought what’s already in my gaming bag, hence, the Fireball. As a matter of fact, I had to substitute my The Boss with Bazooka Joe and a couple of sniper teams because I forgot to bring them! Being a good sport that he is, Dax allowed me to do so.

Dax’s Army


Combat Platoon
Platoon Upgrade: Additional Resources – 10
Command Section: The Boss – 25
1st Section: The Gunners – 17
2nd Section: The Hammers - 28
Support: Wildfire – 20
Hero: Rhino – 22

Assault Platoon
Platoon Upgrade: Additional Resources – 10
Command Section: Hell Boys – 25
1st Section: BBQ Squad – 21
Support: Wildfire – 20

TOTAL: 198 AP

GAME SETUP:

We agreed to follow and use the scenario provided in the latest tournament rules found in FFG’s Dust Warfare site. For reference, here’s a copy of the table for the scenario:

Scenario Points Objectives Deployment Conditions
0 VK Recovery The Long March Snow
1 Attrition Double Envelopment None
2 Symbolic Victory Advancing Lines Combat Fatigue
3 Key Positions Contested Drop Zone Cold Snap

I won the roll and decided to spend my first Scenario Point on Objective. Dax followed it up with a point spent on Condition. I wanted to force the advantage from my Fireball so I spent another point on Objective. Dax realized this and countered it with his last point spent on Objective.

OBJECTIVE: Key Positions

Basically, we wrote down 2 terrain pieces as our objectives. Each list will be revealed by the end of the game and for each of your objective terrain you control, you gain 1 Superiority Point.

DEPLOYMENT: The Long March

No special shenanigans here. I just chose a short edge and deploy within 16” from that edge. Dax would deploy within 16” of the opposite side.

CONDITIONS: None

After generating our scenario for the game, it’s time to set the terrains on the table. With the Objective being specific to taking control of terrains, this is going to be crucial. I didn’t hesitate on placing my objective near my deployment area.

My general strategy is to wear down the opposition’s forces with my Fire for Effect. With 3 radio-capable units and Additional Resources, you can’t negate that kind of threat. Once I have a unit or 2 Suppressed, I’ll Air Drop my Fireball nearby and burn it with Johnny’s embarked BBQ Squad.

In addition to the above generated scenario, we agreed to time our game to one hour.

My objectives are the 3-storey ruin on the upper left hand side and the temple in the middle.

GAME SUMMARY

TURN 1, COMMAND PHASE:

I went first for the First Turn. Seeing no targets yet, I just passed on the Command Phase to Dax. Dax just did the same.

TURN 1, UNIT PHASE:

I advanced my The Boss to safety inside the nearby building. My 2 Observer squads Marched Move to take early control of my objectives while my Gunners followed as support, getting behind the temple.

Fireball still up in the air waiting for permission to deploy.

Dax wasted no time. He issued a forward assault to all his troops, leaving no units behind his deployment zone. The 2 Wildfires led the charge with their Fast ability.

TURN 2, COMMAND PHASE:

As with my previous games, I rarely win Initiatives. Dax issued some Long Tom and Smoke Screen commands, both kicking in thanks to double Additional Resources. This in turn took out 1 of my Observers stationed in the ruins.
I retaliated with my own Fire for Effect, causing damage on Rhino and Suppressing his Jumping Hammers.

TURN 2, UNIT PHASE:

Dax continued storming my forces. A couple of shots took down my remaining radio man in the ruins while my Gunners in standby suffered a casualty too.

My surviving observers and Gunners returned fire, causing more damage to Rhino.

TURN 3, COMMAND PHASE:

I’m still going second despite the fact that I’m rolling less dice now due to one of my Foxtrot teams biting the dust.
Dax failed his special Command actions, however. I rained artillery with my own Long Tom on his units taking care some of the invading Gunners but failing to dent the nearby Wildfire.

TURN 3, UNIT PHASE:

The combined forces of Dax’s Gunners and Hammers proved too much for my remaining Foxtrot duo.

I went defensive to hold my ground and Reacted to every opportunity presented. One of which was Dax’s Hell Boys advancing towards my The Boss’ safe house. They downed 2 soldiers but suffered losing my mechanic once they commenced firing.

With the huge disadvantage knocking at my door, I Air Dropped the Fireball without further hesitation. Having it landing a few inches away from my objective, I’m positioned to wipe out the enemy units in front.

I don’t know if it’s panic or what but for some reason, I forgot the very reason why you use BBQ Squad, Fast! Without being able to close the gap by just plainly disembarking, the only shot fired was Johnny’s Machine Gun, and it didn’t do any damage to the Armor 3, Rocket-punching Jumpers.

TURN 4, COMMAND PHASE:

I’m still going second, Dax connected again with his Long Tom and Smoke Screen, causing a wound on Johnny. This didn’t prevent me from calling another Fire for Effect of my own, bringing down some of Dax’s BBQ Squads in the process.
By this time, Dax called time as the 1 hour limit reached it’s end. We decided to finish the current turn.

I used up all my remaining Orders by attacking and clearing out the obstacles to my objectives.

TURN 4, UNIT PHASE:

Dax finished off my remaining Foxtrot and The Boss. His Rhino managed to Rocket Punch 2 damage on the walker and caused its outer armor to erupt on fire.

My Fireball was able to eliminate Rhino’s squad once and for all. Johnny and his BBQ boys took control of the nearby temple for my objective while the surviving Gunners Marched Move to take control of the ruins.

END GAME:

Dax’s second objective was the tower-like terrain on the lower left hand side. 

It turned out Dax and I had the temple as our common objective. He was able to control his second one though, which means we ended up both getting 2 Superiority Points.

Final score, it’s a tie!

AFTER THOUGHTS

Considering that this is just our second time to play Warfare, we were a lot faster in terms of executing the turn by turn orders. We still needed to consult the rulebook from time to time but that’s their purpose anyway, right?

As for me, obviously I really need to practice on my strategy and familiarize more on my units. After pondering on the turnout of events, I should have Air Dropped the Fireball earlier in the game to prevent the wave of attacks to my objective takers.

Overall, it was a fun experience! I’m looking forward to our planned events involving Dust Warfare.

Next Saturday, August 3rd, we will hold the very first Dust Tactics tournament here in the Philippine Front, Post 52.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Refrain from using any vulgar, racist, insulting, fuck it you know it already don't you? Just post.