Jul 29, 2013

CRUZ CHRONICLES #003

July 20th, Saturday - We’re back to our FLGS, Neutral Grounds Glorietta branch. After a couple hours of nap time and attending to a few husband-daddy duties at home, I arrived at the shop around lunch time.


As expected, the place was already crowded! This was one of the reasons why I failed to get pictures of my games that day. Well, apart from the fact that I was too engrossed with trying out a newly formulated army. When I got there, Bin and Vic were already engaged in a 250-point clash. Both of them were playing Allies. Bazooka Joe versus Bazooka Joe, Pounder versus Pounder. After about 30 minutes, Vic emerged victorious. A new challenger has arrived!

My Army List
Fireball – 82
Devil’s Own – 30
Corps Officers – 35
Bot Hunters – 22
Crack Shots x2 – 20
13 Foxtrot x2 – 10
_________________


TOTAL = 199 AP

THE DOUBLE SCOUT THEORY:


From my previous games, I had fun combining Action Jackson’s Assault with the Devil’s Own’s Scout. I was going to try Double Assault but a more interesting idea came to mind: Double Scout.

As the rules currently state, Scout/ Scout Vehicle can only be used during the first turn of the game. The theory works like this: Devil’s Own with Scout embarks on Fireball, a Scout Vehicle. On the first turn, Fireball deploys, uses Scout Vehicle to cover up to 4 squares. Next activation, the Kill Squad disembarks, uses Scout covering up to 3 squares in movement. Add that up to their 3-square ranged Phasers and you’ll practically have the entire board covered in no time. Talk about reach!

Now this comes with a trade-off. Devil’s Own, while rolling a total of 24 dice against any infantry type, will be left behind enemy lines after the alpha strike. Timing and proper placement of terrains/cover elements are key ingredients to the formula too.


Now on to the reports!


GAME 1: Versus Vic

Vic’s Army List
Bazooka Joe + BBQ Squad – 48
BBQ Squad – 30
Tank Busters – 30
Crack Shots – 10
Pounder x2 – 80
_______________
TOTAL = 198 AP

GAME SUMMARY:

I was able to win the Deployment roll. With my general strategy in mind, I undoubtedly chose the long side (12 squares) of the table. That way, my Double Scout can easily reach any unit Vic deploys. For the scenario, we chose Area Control.

Vic won the Initiative for the 1st turn. He decided to park a BBQ Squad inside a nearby structure. I saw this as an early opportunity so I immediately deployed my Fireball, Devil’s Own embarked, ending its movement just outside the opposite entrance of the structure where Vic’s BBQ Squad checked in. The very next activation, I didn't waste time deploying the British Kill Squad and Phased the entire BBQ to ashes. Alpha Strike Plan: Success!





Vic decided to abandon his attempt to retake that structure. He established his stronghold on the other side of the board instead, maximizing the opposite structure’s cover. His Pounders stationed near his deployment side, effectively creating a kill box at the central area of the board.

Having his unit count depleted early in the game, Vic carefully positioned his Joe-lead BBQs and Tank Busters to try and assault my forces. He even decided to split Joe with his BBQ to cover more ground.

I on the other hand established parameter on as much tiles as I can. Fireball, thanks to it being a 4-square unit, controlled at least 2 tiles just by itself. I had my radio boys took control of our captured structure with the help of my Bot Hunters, trying to sneak into blasting the Pounders lurking a few squares outside.

The next few turns passed with our units moving back and forth trying to take advantageous positions without giving up open shots to the opposition. However, with my Corps Officers pumping their Stimulant Kit to the Bot Hunters, they were able to pound one of the Pounders with a Sustained Attack.

Towards the latter turns, Vic finally decided to unleash his forces upon mine. His first attempt was to clear out one of Crack Shots, positioned to protect my Fireball, with his own Crack Shots. I was able to react when they stepped out of their controlled structure though, taking out his Sniper in the process. Vic didn’t lose resolve though and instead continued his plan of attack with the Tank Busters Jumping out of cover and pulverizing my other Sniper team. My Kill Squad had been waiting for this show of force however, and started loading out their 50W Phaser Rifles on Vic’s Heavy Tank Hunters.

By the 7th turn, I’m controlling at least 5 tiles while Vic’s forces suffering one loss after another, could only control between 3-4 tiles.

Handshakes were exchanged. 1 victory in the bag for my Scouts!

Now Bin after seeing all the action, wouldn’t want to pass on the opportunity to take on my Fireball-centric force so, a second game for me! Well, in total all 3 of us got to play 2 games each that day.

GAME 2: Versus Bin

Bin’s Army List:
Johnny One-eye + The Gunners – 36
Bazooka Joe + Recon Boys – 33
Rhino + The Hammers – 48
13 Foxtrot - 5
Pounder – 40
Steel Rain – 38
___________________
TOTAL = 200 AP

GAME SUMMARY:

Having seen how my army works, Bin made effort in clogging the board with the terrain squares. Luckily for me, I won the Deployment roll so I easily chose the more spacious long side of the table. We chose Area Control again for the Scenario for this game as well.

Bin’s deployment area was filled with blocking terrains as a result of his efforts during table setup. In fact, my Fireball and Devil’s Own units were the last to deploy, waiting for an open target. Eventually, I ended with only 2 clear targets. On my left hand side, I have Johnny with his gang, while on the other side is the Artillery-calling duo. I decided to go after Johnny’s squad. My luck dried out from the first game though, as I was only able to deal 3 wounds, after rolling all those dice! Wow, not even enough to kill the Badass hero!

By the next turn, winning the crucial Initiative thanks to Joe’s Black Ops, Bin focused his efforts in eliminating my British Commandos once and for all. I was shaken by the early loss of my Kill Squad. But I moved on with what’s left of my force.

Bin’s walkers were deployed on my right hand side of the map, together with his Foxtrot. I can’t afford to have those radio-totting bastards calling “Rockets away!” on my Fireball that early so I positioned one unit each of my own Foxtrot and Snipers to take them out. I was able to shoot both radio-wielders successfully without getting massacred by the overlooking Pounder, thanks to the help of the cover from the nearby structure.

To my left, Bin’s three Hero-lead squads continued to threat my remaining forces. My Fireball strutted back and forth some key squares to prevent an open direct shot from the slow Steel Rain while at the same time, countering the threat presented by Joe, Johnny and Rhino’s squads.

We continued the exchange of shots, with Bin getting the upper hand. All his grenades and UGLs didn’t convert to damage though. The tight space inside the structure might have caused some claustrophobic reaction on his men. That didn’t stop them from reducing my NCO down to the Mechanic, my other Foxtrot to just 1 radioman and wiping out my second Sniper team.

All seemed lost for me but I finally got some spark of hope lighting up when a direct shot from Bin’s Steel Rain only resulted to 2 damages on my Fireball. His Jumping Pounder also was only able to take out a single member of my Bot Hunters. My force retaliated the following turn, winning a badly needed initiative. Fireball blasted its weapon lines on Bin’s Pounder, leaving behind only a pile of molten metal. A Sustained Attack with the Bot Hunters double bazooka took care of the other walker. The tides of war are turning!

My other units, getting inspiration from the turn of events on the on the other side of the map rose back up again! In a heroic effort, my lone mechanic sprayed his flamethrower on Bazooka Joe’s squad. After clearing out the charred carcasses, there were still 2 soldiers standing and stabbed my mechanic in melee combat. The gasping NCO officer didn’t go down easily, taking another soldier with him with his single Rocket Punch.

Realizing his only answer left to the 4-area-controlling Fireball was the Rocket Punches of his heavy rangers, Bin charged towards the massive heavy walker, bringing it down to just 4 Health! On the next turn, Fireball fired back, though, leaving a barely alive Rhino after the retaliation.



As we transition from Turn 6 to Turn 7, I am controlling 3 tiles with my Fireball, 1 from my surviving Foxtrot inside a structure, 1 from my Bot Hunters and 1 from my lone radioman. Bin on the other hand was only controlling 3.

After an exchange of bad rolls and mistakes, my Double Scout platoon was able to take another Win!

AFTER THOUGHTS:

With 2 games to draw assessment from, I could definitely say that this is a viable army. One thing that I kept on forgetting was my NCO’s Smoke Mortars. On both games, it could have bought me a turn from being shot at.

Do you think I should play this army on our upcoming tournament in August? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Refrain from using any vulgar, racist, insulting, fuck it you know it already don't you? Just post.